Thursday, June 23, 2011

Listen With Your Eyes Closed

A few minutes ago, while I was frantically searching for a document, tucked away between a pile of papers, I found my lost Hemant Kumar collection, which had one of my all time favorites. Wanting to put that into my scrapbook, I did a search on You Tube and found the song. But I was devastated. Though I have never seen the movie Kohra, my own visualization of the song had grown so much on me across the last two decades that I was horrified by the sight of the ungainly hero (Biswajeet, You Tube tells me) walking around in formals, replete with curls and a dangling cigarette, wearing an infuriatingly smug look, which I suspect was worn - one knows not why - by many passionate heroes from a distant past. 


Increasingly the world seems to see music as much as, if not more that it hears music. Very often, predesigned visual packages thwart the most rewarding experience that music offers - your own little mind-trip through a zillion fragments from the past, from dreams, from wishful thinking, from present reality and from possible futures... Anyway, here's my favorite Hemant Kumar song. Might not be a bad idea to listen with your eyes closed.




2 comments:

  1. one of my favourites... Wondered why tears rolled down listening to this song today

    ReplyDelete
  2. The disconnect between the music and the visuals is so extreme that I reeled in shock for quite some time. Luckily, I saw this when very young, and the memory stated on, with a red alert flashing. So I could avoid seeing it again!

    Biswajith was such an anachronism - in every age!

    ReplyDelete